Thursday, March 24, 2011

US Politics


I just got done with a conversation last night with one of my former flight commanders, and I realized that I am not the only one out there that feels like this country has become too politicized to actually fix any of the problems we have.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I am not a US policy-basher who hates the country he lives in.  In fact, I love this country.  I think is the best country on this spinning rock we live on.  I want to see it successful.  I want my kids to grow up and enter adult life during the greatest period in this great country's history.  I just don't see it happening in the way we are heading.


Now, most people would blame this on the Republicans, or on the Democrats.  They would pick a party line and hold it forever.  I don't see it like that.  I see that very thing as part of the problem.  I can't get behind that ideology and I think we need a different approach.  I see the problem as a political system that has become out of control.  I may be wrong in some of the ways I see these things working, and if I am, please feel free to correct me.  I am always looking to learn!


The system is corrupt.  Head senators get "paid" to take certain positions on certain issues.  Then, they use their power to get everyone else to fall in line.  If you want to get re-elected to office, you will jump on board with the party position.  If you can't jump on board, then you get left to fend for yourself.  It is not a system that you change.  The system changes you or spits you out.  And we, the voters, just sit back and let it happen.  How many people can never back a candidate because none of them make any kind of sense to you?  That is how it happens (or at least that is how I understand it).


What we need are leaders that are willing to stand up and take the blows, and a voting public that backs those leaders.  I don't have to agree with every position my elected official takes, but I do have to know that (s)he has to have the moral fiber and cajones to stand up to pressure and fight for what the candidate thinks is right.  I want to go back to those days where leaders made bold speeches, character was all you had, and you fought to make your name stand for something.  Where are those candidates?  Please help me find them.


Please feel free to share this, comment on it, pass it around, whatever you want to do.  I don't even care about credit.  I just want people here to start thinking for themselves and maybe even rally around an idea.  That is the only way we get our leadership to make a difference.2WBFARMVMCF7


Thank you to all who read this.